1 min read
Flourless Chocolate Coffee Cake
1½ cups almond meal
½ cup Real Coffee Clean Lean Protein
180g dark chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
4 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp instant coffee powder
¼ cup boiling water
A tasty protein twist on a flourless chocolate cake. With the bold chocolate flavour, melt-in-your-mouth texture, and a hint of coffee - chocolate lovers will adore this dessert!
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced)
2. Grease a 6cm deep, 22cm round spring form cake tin and line sides and base with baking paper.
3. Place coffee powder and boiling water in a small, heat proof bowl and stir until dissolved. Add butter, chocolate, cocoa powder and coffee mixture to a medium saucepan over a low heat and stir constantly until melted and combined, about 2-3 mins. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool slightly.
4. Use an electric beater to beat egg yolks and sugar together until thick, about 5 mins, and set aside.
5. Thoroughly clean and dry your beaters and then beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
6. Add chocolate mixture, almond meal and protein to the egg yolk and sugar mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold half of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Repeat with remaining egg whites.
7. Pour entire mixture into prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool the cake completely in the pan.
8. Dust with cocoa to finish and serve with your favourite berries and cream.
Tip: To make a beautiful, natural raspberry sauce, simply use a wooden spoon to push some fresh or defrosted raspberries through a sieve. This will separate the seeds and leave you with a lovely, bright, tart sauce that works perfectly with this chocolate cake.